Friday, August 9, 2013

An Unexpected, Expected Journey


Sarah's response to Paul's original Spiritual Popcorn post which can be found here:
http://spiritualpopcorn.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-hobbit-unexpected-journey.html



The "expected" part of the journey is this...
My husband and I have talked about moving to Washington DC for years. I am an east coast girl, originally from just outside northeast Philly, so a move back would bring me closer to my family and friends. My husband originally from the Chicagoland area had interned in DC one summer and he was hooked ever since. So, the location wasn't out of the question and we had already begun preparations to sell or rent our home when Paul got the job in DC.

The "unexpected" part of the journey is this...
I am a different person since I lived here last. As my mother-in-law lovingly reminded me before we moved, "you are not the same age as you were when you did this the first time." ....Thanks, mom....appreciate the reminder that I am quickly aging out of the "young adult" demographic. It was said in a very loving way, we joked about it, and laughed a whole lot. One of those happy graced moments that has stuck with me. A humorous way to ease the tension of moving so far away from her after being so close for 13 years.

I am a different person because of my 13 year journey to Chicago and back. I have gained much insight on the world. I have lost family and gained family. I have had jobs I will not miss and appreciate all they have taught me. I have gained the love of my life, a husband who has helped me become so much more than I ever thought possible. Now I spend most of my day in my two bedroom apartment, working remotely, and wondering who am I now.

This is the unexpected journey:
Who am I now? I didn't realize that was going to be such a difficult question. Bilbo knew who he was when he went on his journey. Vicki Soto knew who she was when she went into her classroom that fateful morning. I don't feel like even an ordinary person. What's less than ordinary? I don't say that in a self effacing way, I just don't feel like I am in their category.

Maybe I am more like Gandalf and need to search out the ordinary people in my neighborhood, at the Ikea or Einstein Bagel. I am afraid...Of what? I am uncertain but maybe it is time to step out on to the unexpected journey and take it all in a face value.

Where shall the road take me today Bilbo? Let us take the first step out the front door and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment